Light painting is basically the idea of setting up a long shutter and painting in light purposefully in a way to create a specific type of image. It can be done with flashlights, flashes, laser pointers, even phones. This requires much more forethought and trial and error to get the desired results. But this can also have a great sense of reward. This is typically a dimmer setup so adjust setting to capture more light than less.
Steel Wool is a bit of a spectacle and can give some interesting results. Both short shutter and long have value. The best results have a purposeful subject matter, interaction or reflection. Mostly meaning steel wool looks awesome when it bounces off something or is reflected in the water. Start around 5sec, f4 and ISO300 and adjust from there.
HOW TO DO:
- Step 1: Fill the Whisk with Some Steel Wool. (to get more Sparks when Burning, you can Puff the Steel Wool up a Little)
- Step 2: Attach a Flexible Wire to the Whisk which Enables you to Spin the Whisk in the Air.
- Step 3: Find a Proper Place. Any Place won't be set on Fire would be Fine. Because the Sparks will Bounce off any Surface they Encounter.
- Step 4: Set up your Camera. You can use the bulb setting on your camera. Don't Forget to Bring a Tripod and Wireless Shutter Release with you.
- Step 5: Ignite the Steel Wool and Spin the whisk! Once everything is ready, Ignite the Steel Wool with a Lighter. Just a little bit is Enough and the Steel Wool will Start to Smolder. The Whole Steel Sool will Catch on Fire when being Spined the Whisk and have fun.
- For your safety, you may also need an umbrella, goggles, and extinguisher, etc.
- To avoid cuts never tear steel wool with bare hands, cut to size with scissors or shears, and always protect your hands with gloves when handling.
- Steel Wool is highly flammable. Keep away from all sources of fire, sparks, and electricity.
- Keep out of reach of children.
Steel Wool for Photography - Best Grade 0000 for Light Painting
- 100% Brand New and High-Quality Material: Steel Wool.
- Grade: 0000 flexible abrasive, best for photography and cleaning, preparing and maintaining wood and metal finishes.
- One roll consists of Steel Wool for more than 10 spins.